Tuesday, April 28, 2009

eternal sunshine

The sun shines on you, beating softly . Its warmth works through your skin down to your soul. The sun is wonderful, it gives light so you can see the wonderful things around you. The light shows the truth and gives beauty. Days straight out of fairy tales come around, days you wish could never end. Don't stare into the sun though, it will blind you. From far away it is good but don't get to close or you'll get burned. Enjoy, but from a distance. Without some protection you will burn. The sun changes you, slightly.

And then a cloud comes. And the cloud partially blocks the sun, casting shadows, making it harder to see. The cool of the shade slides across your skin. You trip on a root that was now hidden in the dark. But the cloud passes and the sun comes out again, and all seems right and good. Another cloud comes, and another, and another, following each other getting more frequent. It is a difficult time. Will the sun stay or go? Confused, hurt, lost. You have no control.

Finally it happens. The sun is gone. It is dark, it is cold. Everything is hidden. You can only remember what used to be there and stumble on your own in a lonely place. How can you go on? Was it better to have had the sun while you did? Are you better off having enjoyed what you could when you could? Or maybe you should have stayed in the dark the hold time. The dark offers protection. Was it really better to have had for a short time and have to go back or to never have had at all? You saw amazing things, you did amazing things. But now you can only remember them. It seems the sun is too dangerous. I will walk by moonlight. I may not see as much but I know I can hide in the shadows when the light is too much.

1 comment:

  1. It might be the english student in me speaking, but I smell an allegory here. XD I like it.

    ReplyDelete